Soups are one of the best foods we can have because they are typically thick liquid and as it is made from vegetables, it is one of the most nutritious food we can have. There are many soups out there and all of them have their benefits. I however, was in search of the best soup out there and I think I have found it. Why is it the best? Let us briefly discuss.
The vegetables are the best foods among all foods on the planet and among vegetables, green leafy vegetables are the best. Among them Spinach, Kale & Watercress tops the list. So a soup which is made of these 3 vegetables should be one of the best if not the best (if you think there are better contenders then do let us know). Anyways, let us know the recipe of this awesome spinach, kale & watercress super soup recipe which is not only amazingly healthy but tastes very good too. First, let us know look into the ingredients.
- 1/2 cup Spinach, finely cut
- 1/2 cup Kale, finely cut
- 1/5 cup Watercress, finely cut
- 1 cup Masoor Dal (Split red Lentils)
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Chilly
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1 small piece of ginder
- 1 tbl spoon cumin seeds
- 1 spoon of oil (rice bran oil suggested)
- 6 Curry leaves chopped
- 1 Sweet Potato, chopped (optional)
- Salt to taste
This probably is the world’s best soup because it is made of top 3 vegetables in the world. If you do choose to add some chunky vegetable (e.g. sweet potato) to it, you already have nearly 5 portions of vegetable in one soup. Now, why would you not call it as the best soup in the world?
- Add the above cut leafy vegetables, 1 cup of Masoor dal, the tomato pieces and 2 cups drinking water into a cooking vessel. (Note:- If you struggle to get kale or watercress, never mind as you can still prepare this recipe even with spinach alone. The other two would enhance nutrition of the soup).
- Optional:- The primary ingredients of the soup are leafy vegetables and hence if you prefer something chunky to chew on, it would be good to add some soft but solid vegetables to bite. You could choose any vegetable of your choice. However, my suggestion is to choose a vegetable with either bland or sweetish taste (e.g. Sweet potato, Potato, Butternut Squash or cauliflower). I have often choosen to use one medium sweet potato as I like a sweetish taste and it’s skin is amazingly rich it antioxidants. So if you prefer, you could add a medium or finely cut vegetable from the above list or of your choice. If you do add then check and add additional water if needed to boil and cook the entire content.
- Mix the ingredients well and cook it in an open vessel. Check regularly to ensure that the mixture is cooked well.
You can also cook using a pressure cooker. However, pressure cookers tend to harm the nutritional value of the food and hence do not cook the food beyond two whistles to limit the damage. Once ready, keep the mixture aside.
- Separately prepare a fine paste of garlic cloves, chilly, curry leaves & ginger piece with the help of a blender or a mixer.
- Separately heat the oil in a pan and add cumin seeds followed by finely chopped onion to it. Fry the mix for 5 minutes.
- Now, Add cooked mixture, blended paste and fried onion mix into a bigger pan and mix the content in medium heat (flame) for 4 minutes.
- Serve hot on its own. It can also be served as an awesome side dish as well.
Well, there you have it. The combination of tomato and spinach ensures that iron content in the food is absorbed well. There are many ingredients for the above soup but you can mix and match your own. So please give try the above recipe or your own version of this and let us know how it came out. We will be waiting to hear from you.
Happy cooking and healthy eating!